Monday, January 10, 2011

What The Night Can Do

This entry was originally going to be centered around our First Friday adventures, as I had a great response to the first one, and although I spent most of my Sunday weaving the words I would type in the back of my mind, most importantly I felt the need to let those of you that don't already know that last week had a sad start.  A week ago yesterday we lost our Gram.  Last Wednesday we had her funeral.


The next hardest thing, next to death and loss itself is walking away from the graveside and continuing on with life. Life goes on. And sometimes that seems so strange. It seems unfair.
Some don't even know how to go on.
I have suffered the loss of loved ones several times in my lifetime, deaths where it felt like every time I had a memory of them, my heart was being ripped from my chest.  Death is hands-down the worst thing that the living has to endure. Because we must go on.

And we do our best.


We go on because they are at peace, and we know they want us to be happy.  We miss them like we can never explain; yet in time, the pain does lessen and it becomes easier to remember and laugh, to glance up to the sky and say, "Ha! I bet you're just loving this!" when something happens that they would have enjoyed.
I hope and pray every day for my Stepdad, as Gram was his Mom, that he will find peace soon. That the ache in his heart will mend quickly, as those painful feelings slowly turn to beautiful memories.


I'll think of you often Gram. We all will.  I have amazing memories of you, your smile and laugh, your grace and class.  But what I'll always remember most is feeling comfortable and at home in your presence.  I will see you again one day.  In the meantime, I hope you can somehow watch, as we frolic about here among the living, that I am doing just as you told me to- taking beautiful photos.


This past First Friday was a little different because Miss Madison came along for the ride.  We had nothing "over 21" on our schedule this time, as most of First Friday is all ages, so she was pretty stoked to be out and about with some of Indy's hippest cats.



Britt Demaris Leiendecker- Local Artist


The Athenaeun Theater- The Rathskeller

Madison modeling at IndySwank
IndySwank




Our friend Sutiweyu Sandoval at Voir Art de Fletcher
DJ Metrognome at Voir Art de Fletcher


The Murphy Building is a very interesting place to be on First Friday. At every turn, there is something going on. Madison loved finding the strange old passageways, murals on the walls and random sculptures more than the actual studios. We let her run free and discover.


It was cold outside but I am glad we braved the elements to introduce Maddie to a few of our talented friends.
She is already talking about the First Friday in February! 


Our Saturday was spent relaxing around the house before dinner out and heading to my sister's home for birthday cake and the Colts game.

Happy Birthday, Mark!

Hunkering down inside with family and friends was just what the doctor ordered, even though our Colts lost.

Have a wonderful week, folks.
And ladies, something inspiring we learned from our Gram- color is beautiful.
Work those beautiful pinks!


"What great thing would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?"
~Dr. Robert H. Shuller

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! :)
    The pictures of Gram are touching <3
    Looks like First Friday was a blast!
    The pictures of Mark, Nathan, and Norah are just adorable!!!
    <3, Amber

    ReplyDelete