Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Calm and The Storm

The Midwest got whacked with a Winter Storm this week. And I am sure that over 80% of you already know this. Because actually only a few states were spared from the particularly extreme Winter elements. From what I hear, even you readers that are out of the country are likely experiencing some nerve-wracking atmospheric conditions of your own.
But what is life if we cannot talk/complain about the weather?
The older I get the more I notice it. In November it's "We can't wait to get out the sleds and make snowmen!" and "Won't it be nice to slow down, cozy up and eat soup!?"
And then, sometime in late January it shifts to perpetually incorrect meteorologists and the desire for a ripe, juicy Indiana tomato. 
I can remember so clearly as a child waking up in the wee hours on a blustery school morning and turning on the radio to hope listen for the school closings. How my Mother and I would sit together and listen, as she sipped her coffee and I slowly began to get dressed and have my breakfast. The way we would squeal and put our jammies back on when they said, "New Castle Community Schools" and she would pick up the phone to call in to work, even though my Grandma was perfectly capable of watching me and we would eventually end up at her house in the afternoon for hot tea and cookies.
She and my Grandma hoped for it just as much as I did, and now, I know the feeling.

Luckily, last week my Sis and I made plans to hang out this past Monday. And it was truly The Calm Before The Storm. We had a nice lunch, then headed over to the party supply store to begin some March birthday party planning.


Nathan turns 3 on March 10th, and my "baby" girl will be 13 on March 8th.  March is a good, fun month.







It was a good thing to get out a bit, because that evening the storm hit. And it hit hard.




When it is cold out and the threat of getting snowed (or in this case, iced) in is a reality, I get the itch to bake.

On the first night, Cranberry-Orange Muffins were made.


The second night, we attempted to get Mother Nature in a Springlike mood with some Funfetti Cupcakes.


Our flowing creek turned into a crystal stream and Buddha hunkered down in his snow jacuzzi.



Our kitty Rain got Drew's snowsuit (AKA the "One Easy Piece") warmed up, and I began to search for a good, easy hot roll recipe. We were having Caesar salads and usually have croissants from Trader Joe's along with them, but since we didn't have any and the trip was unfathomable, I got the baking bug once again.



I brewed yet another pot of coffee, printed off a few recipes and looked through a couple of recipe books. I found one I had most of the ingredients for and since Drew wanted to get his truck out anyway, sent him over to Marsh for the rest.
I remembered that you have to be patient with yeast, that it can be strange to work with, and that you have to let it do it's thing. I am typically a sweets-baker, so yeast is a whole new world for me. I was nervous, yet knew I didn't have a very criticizing audience, not to mention several packages of yeast, so I began to craft what I hoped would be some soft, warm, melt-in-your-mouth dinner rolls.

I got an A+


My grading scale was based on my daughter, who never goes back for seconds, joining my husband in going back for thirds. Me thinking, "okay who can I make a batch for?" and snapping photos to text to my baking friends. Yeah, I am proud.
So if you find a package of rolls on your doorstep, you know where they came from.
I am glad that I am finally having the desire to do my own baking from scratch. I see now why my Grandma did it, and why my Aunt would ask at Thanksgiving if the rolls were homemade or store bought before deciding to take one when the basket was passed around. Roll snob? I will don that badge.

It has been a wonderful week off with my little family, keeping warm indoors watching movies, getting caught up on work and laundry, playing with our cats, doing crafts, talking on the phone with friends, baking, and of course sleeping in. The weather is bleak yet we find fun and keep busy. Soon, that blue and warm light will pool through our windows, awakening our interests and igniting our tired bodies. Amazing, the power of the sun.
But for now, I wouldn't trade these days for anything.

Happy February, Friends!


"Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads." ~Henry David Thoreau

No comments:

Post a Comment