Thursday, February 10, 2011

Furry Creature Feature

Our little friends are coming to visit every day. Wide-eyed with bellies growling, ever trusting and very polite.


I am happy and amazed at how healthy they are, with their shiny coats, bright eyes and quick reflexes.
I am learning the ranks of their hierarchy, the way one will show up to see if fresh food has appeared on the deck, what it is and how much there is, and then go and inform the others. The larger of the pack will keep a lookout while the smaller ones eat. If an intruder is in the area they will begin their warning "clicks," their tails will plume out and they will do a jerky strut, as if to say, "we were here first, just give is a bit to finish and we promise we will leave the fruit."
Squirrels are kinda picky. If there are bagels or crackers out they will always skip the fruit. They are carb lovers and even though they shouldn't have much salt, they love salty things. I try to keep the salty foods to a minimum, but Wheat Thins are just so yummy, don't you think?



Squirrels are also pretty friendly, they allow birds to come and go and share in the buffet. This big boy (who I have determined to be the leader) will come right up to our deck doors and have a look inside, even when face to face with a very curious house cat, or nose-to-nose with my camera lens.


And now for "The Intruder."


I believe they have some sort of pact going on out there because there were still a couple Wheat Thins lying around as this guy strode off with his Granny Smith.
I like Raccoons. I know many people don't. They are seen as aggressive and very destructive, when actually they are just survivors. They seek out safety, warmth and food. Can't blame them for that. I like them because they are happy with what they are given, any 'ol leftovers the picky Squirrels leave behind, the Raccoons will run up on the deck and act as though Bob Barker just yelled, "A NEW CAR!!"

So anyway, most mornings we have these visitors, and since the cats are used to having all the attention I believe they are getting a bit jealous. It is evident in this next display of, "that's it, I'm opening this window and going outside to kick some butt!"


"The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp." ~ John Berry

No comments:

Post a Comment